Thursday, July 22, 2010

What I Love About the Summer

Is it just me or does it seem that summer flies by much faster than the rest of the year? I can't believe that I only have 3 weeks left of my 10-week summer break, and that I have to spend one of those weeks at an AP conference! For some reason I feel like this summer has been very different from the other two summers I have had off during teaching. Maybe it's because we've had so much going on with kitchen renovations, Tyler's promotion, VBS, an eleven day trip to Florida, and mom's surgery. Or maybe it's because I'm just not looking forward to the upcoming school year. I don't know what it is, but I'm not ready for it to be over!!

There's so much that I love about the summer. I love that I don't have to work and that I can get a break from the mental stress of teaching. I know that some people might think it wasteful for me to not take a summer job and make a little extra money while I'm off, but to them I say, "I make a full time salary in 10 months that you make in 12, so maybe you're just jealous." Aside from not having to work, I also love being able to sleep in in the mornings, then watch the Today show or Regis and Kelley while eating a bowl of cereal. I also love having all day to get my chores done rather than waiting until Saturday to get it all done and then having little to no time to rest or enjoy being off.

I also love the amount of time that I have to spend with my husband, especially since we're on very different schedules during the school year. Because I get to sleep in, I'm able to stay up later and hang out with my hubbie, who's a night owl, rather than dragging myself to bed around 10 from sheer exhaustion. Also, we have time to take a trip or two together that gives us some quality time away from the rest of the world. We actually have time to talk to one another, which sounds terrible, but sometimes we just run out of time together to get to discuss everything on our minds (well maybe just on mine since I always have the need to talk). :)

I also love getting to read whatever I want! Each year I make my own summer reading list of all the books I came across during the school year that I wanted to read but didn't have the time to. I will admit that this year's summer reading has not been as prosperous as others in the past, but it's still been nice to pick up a book that I actually chose to read rather than reading what I've assigned my students to keep myself refreshed on the subject matter (not that I assign boring books, it's just that I've now read most of these books 5 or more times, and would like something new).

I also love the time I get to spend with my family. Sometimes I feel like I don't see them for weeks on end and only get to talk to them a handful of times in the course of a month because we're all so busy. I now people think that because I only live 10 minutes from their house I must spend tons of time with them, but the truth is I have gone almost a month at times without seeing my family because of how busy things can get. So the summer is a great time to get caught up, and this summer has probably given me that opportunity more than any other summer so far and I think it's the best part of my summer so far!

Well, despite the fact that summer is fading fast, I'm going to try and enjoy these last 3 weeks and not think about how little time I have left, but rather remember all the wonderful blessings that have come from this summer. Because if truth be told, I've been feeling the summer-time blues the past few days, and I really just need to snap out of it and enjoy myself, because otherwise this summer will be gone, and yet another long grueling year will be ahead of me, and I'll have worried and fretted away my last few days rather than truly enjoy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment