Friday, July 23, 2010

Here's to Healthy Eating

So my husband and I decided that we really needed to make some healthy life changes like changing our diet and starting to exercise regularly. I think the changes will be good, but I'm not thrilled about it. First of all, I hate change and second of all, I like to be lazy and eat junk. Really, I'm OK with it. But I know this is best for me, and I'm going to make a real effort in this with my husband, but I'm pretty sure he's more excited about this than I am.

For example, today he went to the grocery store of his own accord to pick up some high protein items that will be helpful to him as he begins to work out. He came home showing off his purchases and excitedly talking about this new routine called P90X that several of his co-workers have done that he's getting ready to start. I, on the other hand, went to the grocery store to buy our weekly list, but with several healthy changes. Things were going really well as I started picking out things like plums, bananas, carrots, and even some baby spinach. I was even ok with the brown rice versus the white rice and salmon instead of steak. But when I reached the cereal aisle, well things got a little harder. I got low-fat granola instead of the Fruit Loops or Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but it was ok. Then I passed the cookies and chips aisles and things got really tough. Those Doritos and Oreos were looking really good, but I knew I needed some healthier substitutes. So what did I get instead, you might ask? Well, I picked up a fruit and nut trail mix, which I was good with and then I went for the yogurt and cheese sticks, and I realized I was grimacing as if I was physically in pain. I felt like a five year old being forced to eat their vegetables or else there would be no dessert, except that I wasn't grimacing over vegetables, I was grimacing over what would soon be my dessert. And to make things worse, on the other side of the aisle was the freezer case filled with ice cream that was on sale for buy one get one free!! UGH!!

Well, I can honestly say that I left the store with only healthy foods except for some Italian ice that happens to be made of real fruit juice, so I figure it can't be too bad for you and a box of the new extremely cheesy macaroni and cheese. I know, I'm pathetic, but I'm going to try. So, here's to healthy eating and maybe a little bit of exercise too!! I'll let you know how it's going in about a week. Any suggestions of healthy recipes or ideas are always welcome, and if you've made the healthy switch I would love to hear that it's worth it!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment